Friday, February 28, 2014

Writing Comics on the Side

This week I took a closer look at Winsor McCay's works of the Little Nemo in Slumberland comic strip. I had been fairly aware of his work but hadn't spent any time, until now, really digging into his design choices and story development in his strips.

McCay's work is incredible. His ability to seamlessly transition from a practical real world to fantastical waking dream is nothing short of remarkable. His characters are interesting and his line art is extraordinary.

His impact on other modern comic artists is noticeable. I find Calvin and Hobbes writer Bill Watterson's work to be largely influenced by McCay. They both also share a sense of imposing parental figures as well?

Here's my shot at a short McCay comic:


If its one thing that McCay couldn't do at all, it was copy and copy placement. But I hardly hold that against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment